The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) established an electronic system to track hazardous waste shipments. The hazardous waste electronic manifest system (e-Manifest) was launched on June 30, 2018 and modernizes the nation’s cradle-to-grave hazardous waste tracking system.This is effective in all states, including states that have not adopted the e-manifest rule.
Hazardous waste generators can use EPA’s electronic manifest system, continue using paper manifest, or a combination of the two. The public now has access to manifest data approximately 90 days after a facility receives the waste. The e-manifest system is optional at this time, but the benefit of using the system includes:
- Cost savings;
- Accurate and more timely information on waste shipments;
- Rapid notification of discrepancies or other problems related to a particular shipment;
- Creation of a single hub for one-stop reporting of manifest data for use by EPA and states;
- Increased effectiveness of compliance monitoring of waste shipments by regulators; and
- The potential for integrating manifest reporting with Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) biennial reporting process and other federal and state information systems.
Learn more about e-Manifest on the EPA website. Our team of engineers are experts in hazardous waste management and compliance. Contact us today for assistance with waste management at your facility!