The purpose of Pollution Prevention (P2) Planning is to identify opportunities to reduce or eliminate the generation of hazardous waste and the use of toxic chemicals at the source rather than treating or controlling these materials after they have been created or used.
Pollution prevention (P2) is any practice that reduces, eliminates, or prevents pollution at its source, also known as “source reduction.”
- Source reduction is fundamentally different and more desirable than recycling, treatment and disposal.
- There are significant opportunities for industry to reduce or prevent pollution at the source through cost-effective changes in production, operation, and raw materials use.
- The opportunities for source reduction are often not realized because existing regulations focus upon treatment and disposal.
What does the plan identify?
Opportunities to voluntarily:
- Decrease the amount of hazardous substances you use.
- Reduce the dangerous waste you generate.
- Conserve water, energy, and other natural resources.
- Reduce air emissions.
- Recycle waste into usable materials.
- Identify the cost savings from taking advantage of pollution prevention opportunities.
Regular planning helps measure these efforts over time. You can also use the data to help your business turn these opportunities into results.
What are the benefits for submitting a plan?
- A safer workplace
- Less money spent on hazardous products and disposal
- Helps businesses stay in compliance
- The ability to conduct a Cost Analysis for pollution prevention
Spencer-SHE has been providing Safety, Health and Environmental Compliance Guidance since 1980, offering clients a wide range of cost-effective, turn-key solutions. Contact us here to help you to develop:
- General Activities Related to Environmental Compliance
- Permit Applications & Compliance Written Plans
- Environmental Site Assessments & Monitoring
Sources and Links: